Present- Co-Chairs: Lane Neubauer, Lou Lamorte: Members: Mike Bachman, Jay Boney, Kara Branz, Mary Dorr, Genevieve Carlton, , Nikki Giannini, Br. Edward Koronkiewicz , Kathi McNichol, Susan Mudrick, Julie Valenti
Absent- Phenix Fraser,
Guests- Mike Nielsen,
- Two new Faculty Members representing the School of Arts and Sciences will be joining the Explore U team beginning in September: Dr. Katie Bogle (Sociology, Social Work and Criminal Justice) and Dr. Michael Prushan (Chemistry and Biochemistry).
- Website Updates
- The Explore U Web site is live.
- The interactive electronic checklist with which students can keep track of their Explore U career development activities is still under construction but will hopefully become live (as a work in progress) by the start of the semester. Mike Nielsen is working on creating a single sign-on (i.e., when students log onto the portal, they would have access to their individualized checklists).
- Discussion centered on where the Explore U Web site should be placed. The Explore U Team recommends that the name of theEmployment channel on the portal (under the Resources and Services tab) be changed to Career Development. If this change happens, then Explore U would fit in this channel.
- Possible links to and from other websites were discussed. It was suggested that links to Explore U be placed on the academic schools’ Web pages.
- Sophomore Pilot
- Each student who was in last year’s Freshmen Explore U Pilot was sent a postcard this summer which, if brought to the Career Services Center upon return to campus, can be exchanged for a free gift. A follow up email will go out once the semester begins encouraging these students to come to the CSC.
- When sophomores in the pilot stop by the CSC for their gifts, they will be instructed as to how to go on to the Explore U Web site to access their electronic checklists. They will also be briefed on the Explore U tasks to be accomplished during their sophomore year.
- If the student is still undecided as to choice of major or is thinking of changing majors, she or he will be given an Explorer’s Guide(see IV below) and encouraged to engage in more self-assessment.
- Other ideas to engage sophomores are the following:
- Set up an Explore U table at the Student Organization Fair.
- Programming in the residence halls where sophomores reside.
- Targeted portal announcements.
- Networking events aimed at Sophomores.
- Explorer’s Guide
- Updates are being made to the Explorer’s Guide (formerly the ACE guide) to reflect the Explore U model.
- The Explorer’s Guide will be sent to the printer in time to be ready for the undecided students advising session on Opening Weekend.
- Freshmen Advisor Training
- Since Freshmen Advisor Training was cancelled, information will be sent to the advisors about their role in the Explore U model a few weeks before spring semester pre-registration.
- If FYA training is rescheduled, Explore U will be introduced to advisors unfamiliar with the model at that time.
- Next meetings
- The Explore U entire team will meet once a month going forward. Meetings will be at 3 p.m. on the following Thursdays: September 11th, October 16th, November 13th, and December 11th.
- The work group (CSC staff and Lane) will additionally meet on August 28th, September 25th, November 6th, and November 20th.
Respectfully submitted by Lane B. Neubauer Ph.D.