Present: Dr. Joseph Cicala (chair) Dan Bucher, Matt Doyle, Dr. Lane Neubauer, Nathan Slife, Dr. Myungho (Simon) Moon, Celeste Wade Dr. Patricia Wilson.
Absent: Dr. Ana Maria Catanzaro, Mindy Massaro, Pete Engeland, Ryan Yarcia.
Guest: Kate Ward-Gaus.
- Dr. Cicala led a moment of prayer and reflection.
- In follow-up to its distribution at our September 25 meeting, we took time for questions about the Division of Student Affairs annual report for 2006-2007.
- In follow-up to their distribution at our September 25 meting, we discussed the various materials pertaining to our sexual misconduct policies and procedures. Consensus seems to be that our policies and procedures are appropriate and clear, and that we may be able to continue to improve our efforts in three particular ways.
- Consider ensuring each year that at least one formally-identified reporting authority is a woman.
- Consider the development of more user-friendly materials to complement the mostly formally/institutionally written materials we now have. Examples might include materials written in more conversational vernacular or materials that pose “if-then” scenarios, particularly with regard to what kind(s) of next step(s) might follow the choice of any given reporting option.
- Consider the development of additional and more intensive/intentional education and prevention efforts.
We agreed that we will invite our emerging partners at Women Against Abuse to serve as informal external participants in our ongoing discussion, as well as the student coordinators of our service group SAVE (Sexual Assault and Violence Ends), and that we will invite them to our next meeting.
Joseph J. Cicala, Ph.D.
Dean of Students